Mission & Purpose
For over 100 years, the Order of the Arrow (OA) has recognized Scouts and Scouters who best exemplify the Scout Oath and Law in their daily lives. This recognition provides encouragement for others to live these ideals as well. Arrowmen are known for maintaining camping traditions and spirit, promoting year-round and long term resident camping, and providing cheerful service to others. OA service, activities, adventures, and training for youth and adults are models of quality leadership development and programming that enrich and help to extend Scouting to America’s youth.
The mission of the Order of the Arrow is to fulfill its purpose as an integral part of the Boy Scouts of America through positive youth leadership under the guidance of selected capable adults.
As Scouting’s National Honor Society, our purpose is to:
- Recognize those who best exemplify the Scout Oath and Law in their daily lives and through that recognition cause others to conduct themselves in a way that warrants similar recognition.
- Promote camping, responsible outdoor adventure, and environmental stewardship as essential components of every Scout’s experience, in the unit, year-round, and in summer camp.
- Develop leaders with the willingness, character, spirit and ability to advance the activities of their units, our Brotherhood, Scouting, and ultimately our nation.
- Crystallize the Scout habit of helpfulness into a life purpose of leadership in cheerful service to others.
The Nischa Achowalogen Lodge, Order of the Arrow is a part of the Golden Spread Council.
- To learn more about the Order of the Arrow, please follow the links on the left sidebar to the National, Southern Region, and Section OA websites.
Attention all Scouts BSA, Ship, and Crew Unit Leaders……………Updated 3/30/2022
Order of The Arrow – Membership Requirements for Youth and Adults:
- Be First Class Rank
- Complete 15 nights of overnight camping, includes up to 5 nights at accredited long term camp
- Be recommended by your Unit Leader.
- Be approved and recommended by Unit Committee
- Complete 15 nights of overnight camping: (Same as for youth membership – see above)
- Complete the Adult nomination form for membership, and be approved by the Lodge Adult Selection Committee and Scout Executive.
OA Election Information- Updated 9/30/2021
Lodge Election Information– Updated Sept 30, 2021