National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide youth members with leadership skills and experiences they can use in their home troops and in other situations that need leadership of self and others.
The NYLT course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what a leader must KNOW, and what a leader must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW TO. The skills come alive during the week as the patrol goes on a Quest for the Meaning of Leadership.
NYLT is a six-day course. Content is delivered in a troop and patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster.
Built on the legacy of past JLT successes, NYLT integrates the best of modern leadership theory with the traditional strengths of the Scouting experience. Through activities, presentations, challenges, discussions, and audio-visual support, NYLT participants will be engaged in a unified approach to leadership that will give them the skill and confidence to lead well.
In order to attend a NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C.
- Scouts BSA members (male and female) must be at least 13 and be a First Class Rank. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills (ILST) for Troops.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female) must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills (ILST) for Crews or Ships. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- For the Staff and Participant Applications , NYLT Course Information, AND registrations please visit www.goldenspread.org and click on Calendar & Event Registration
June 2 -7, 2024
Camp MK Brown
[Registration Coming Soon]
2024 NYLT Staff
Course Director: Ms. Amanda Wallick
Asst Course Director: Ms. Tiffany Christian
Youth SPL: Kacie E.
Interested in staffing? Please contact Ms. Amanda Wallick at 806.679.0406