Wood Badge for the 21st Century
Hosted by the Golden Spread Council
Wood Badge is an advanced, national leadership course open only to Scouting volunteers and professionals.
Scouters from Cub Scouting, Scouts BSA, Venturing, Sea Scouts, and Explorers, and district and council Scouters all are welcome and belong here.
The next course will be held in 2021
Wood Badge for the 21st Century has been developed for Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, and Venturing Leaders, as well as council and district leaders. The focus is on leadership.
By attending Wood Badge, you will be able to:
- View Scouting globally, as a family of interrelated, value-based programs that provides age-appropriate activities for the youth.
- Recognize the contemporary leadership concepts utilized in corporate America and leading government organizations that are relevant to our values-based movement.
- Apply the skills you learn as a member of a high performing team.
- Revitalize your commitment by sharing in an overall inspirational experience and help provide Scouting with the leadership it needs to accomplish its on-going mission.
We do many things on course, like:
- Managing conflict
- Leading change
- Stages of team development
- Coaching & Mentoring
- Leadership for different stages
- Servant leadership
- Project planning
- And more!
These come to you in presentations, games, discussions, activities, and other methods.
You want to participate in a Wood Badge course because of things you will learn and do. Here are some of the benefits:
- Stronger units. You will make your Scouting unit — and your sons’ and daughters’ units — stronger.
- What and why of Scouting. You will have a deeper understanding of what Scouting is and why we do it.
- Experience. You will learn and experience things that will stay with you in Scouting and the rest of your life.
- Fun. You will have fun and you will meet interesting people.
- Other groups. You will make your other groups, like work, church, even family, stronger.
Here’s another summary of why to go. This was originally aimed particularly at Scouters in the Cub Scout program, but it applies equally to all of us.
CUB SCOUT LEADERS! How would you like to attend a training that takes you far beyond your Basic Leader Training? Would you like to build your skills in communication, conflict management and teaching methods? How about a leadership course that rivals many corporate level trainings?
Wood Badge is here for you. This is not a Troop leader training but is designed for Cub, Scout, and Venturing leaders. This course will help you better understand how all the Scouting programs tie together. It will provide you with many useful leadership tools to help enable our youth to have the best possible Scouting experience. There is no better time to attend a Wood Badge course and make a difference in your unit than when you are a Cub Scout Leader.
Have you heard of “The Ticket” and wondered what it is? The ticket is a group of five goals you set for yourself to do after course, to improve your unit. You learn more about this on the course.
The purpose of Wood Badge is to develop skilled leaders who can strengthen Scouting units in achieving the mission of the Boy Scouts of America.
When we accomplish the mission of Scouting, we do it in the units. Therefore, the short form of the purpose is, the purpose of Wood Badge is to strengthen units.
Although the course is different today, what Baden-Powell said in 1919 still applies:
One of the purposes of Wood Badge training is to get Scouters to think about the practice of Scouting, to meet together, to exchange experiences, and to live together in the spirit of the Scout Oath.
For more information, please contact:
806-930-0645 (leave message if no answer)
Golden Spread Council
401 Tascosa Road