Golden Spread Council Covid-19 Committee Updates
The Scout Service Center is open for business Monday-Friday from 8:30am to 5:30m. Saturday hours resume per the council calendar.
(See May 22 Council Update for more info)
Information from our Covid-19 Committee meetings will be posted here: Council Update- May 22
Also, please refer to the “News & Announcements” section of the council website.
Our council is concerned about the safety of all of our Scouts, Scouters, Parents, and Staff. We have created several documents that address our use of camps, council camping and activities, risk statements, Medical Screenings, and cleaning guidelines.
We want you to feel comfortable sending your scout to a camp or activity within the Golden Spread Council and we feel these documents will answer most of your concerns. If at anytime you have a question or concern, please give us a call and we will try “Do our Best” to assist you. Camping is so important to Scouting and now is the time to get outdoors and enjoy.
Overnight Camps and 1-Day Adventure Camps:
Cub Scout Day Camps and Resident Camps:
Use of Council Camps by Units (Troops, Crews, Packs, Posts):
In this section, we will be listing different resources for you to use when “Scouting from Home”. We hope this helps you find everything in one place!
Golden Spread Council Scouting at Home:
- Solar Power Hamburger Cooking Demo (YouTube) (Updated 4/22)
- Scoutreach REmote- Sunshine (Updated 4/27)
- How to build a Marshmallow Catapult Video (Facebook) (Updated 4/30)
- How to make a Duct Tape Wallet (YouTube) Updated 4/30)
- Scoutreach REmote- Animals (Updated 5/4)
- Scouting Heritage Merit Badge (ZOOM)(Update 5/4)
- (Special Note: Please sign in with your first name and Troop #)
- Wednesday, May 6th from 6:30 PM – 9 PM and Wednesday, May 13th from 6:30 PM – 9 PM
- Meeting ID: 271 603 5993
- How to make Slime Demo (YouTube) (Updated 5/5)
- Scoutreach REmote- Water Fun (Updated 5/11)
- Scout Law (YouTube) (Updated 5/11)
- Scout Oath (YouTube) (Updated 5/11)
- Ice Cream in a Bag (YouTube) (Updated 5/11)
- Hatchet (Book) Read Aloud by Michelle Sulik (Updated 5/11)
- Alternative Shelter Video (Updated 5/15)
- Scoutreach REmote- NEED for SPEED (Updated 5/18)
- Knot Tying Video (YouTube)(Updated 5/18)
- Scoutreach REmote- Put it on Paper (Updated 5/28)
- Alternative Shelter Video (Updated 5/28)
- Solar Oven Cooking a Chicken (Updated 5/28)
- Island of the Blue Dolphin (Book) Read Aloud by Michelle Sulik (Updated 5/28)
- Intro for Island of the Blue Dolphin
- Chpt. 1-3 Island of the Blue Dolphins
- Chpt. 4-6 Island of the Blue Dolphins
- Chpt. 7-9 Island of the Blue Dolphins
- Chpt. 10-12 Island of the Blue Dolphins
- Chpt. 13-15 Island of the Blue Dolphins
- Chpt. 16-18 Island of the Blue Dolphins
- Chpt. 19-21 Island of the Blue Dolphins
- Chpt. 22-24 Island of the Blue Dolphins
- Chpt. 25-27 Island of the Blue Dolphins
- Chpt. 28-29 Island of the Blue Dolphins
- Scoutreach REmote- Put it on Paper (Updated 6/1)
- Scouting Show and Tell
- Troop/Pack Zoom Meetings
- Go on a Trek Site (Updated 4/7)
- Digital Merit Badges on Kindle additions (Updated 5/14)
Other Council Websites:
- Last Frontier Council Home Scouting 2020
- Heart of America Council Online Merit Badges (Updated 4/3)
- Buckeye Council Home Scouting Resources (Updated 4/7)
- 30 Day Rank Challenge for Cub Scouts and Scouts BSA (Updated 4/15)
- Denver Area Council Home Scouting Resources (Updated 4/21)
- BSA Scouting from Home Website
- Covid-19 BSA FAQ’s (Updated 4/22)
- Digital Safety and Online Scouting Activities (Updated 4/15)
- BSA CAMP-IN (updated 4/27)
- Scouts BSA 31-Day Challenge (Updates 4/27)
- Venturing 30-Day Challenge (Updated 4/27)
- Philmont Scout Ranch Update dated May 1 (Updated 5/5)
- Covid-19 BSA Update FAQ’s (Updated 5/15)
- Cub Scout Extravaganza postponed until further notice
- Scouting for Food is postponed
- Scouts BSA Camporee is rescheduled from April 24-26 to Nov 21-23
- AW District Day Camp is rescheduled from June 6 to July 11
- Philmont Family Weekend cancelled
- All District Fish Fests are cancelled
- All Lake Cleanup events are cancelled
- Order of the Arrow Beaver Days is cancelled
- NOAC is cancelled
- Scouts BSA Summer Camp (MKB) is cancelled (For new Camping opportunities, see the Council Update Letter dated May 22 and/or the Council Calendar)
What is Friends of Scouting?
FOS, or Friends of Scouting, is the council-level annual giving campaign and is one of our councils largest source of income. The Friends of Scouting campaign typically begins in January and ends in May. During the campaign, we conduct our “Good Scout Luncheon” where we honor a person, business, and/or organization with the highlight of the day being a speaker who talks about scouting and the impact it has. We also conduct local community campaigns throughout our council, and finally, we give the opportunity for all parents and leaders to give through our Family campaign.
Family Scouting in the Golden Spread Council brings something for the entire family… Scouting is not just for kids; but it brings the entire family together. In Scouting, boys and girls grow into their best selves through fun activities which emphasize outdoor experiences, leadership development, and community service. Scouting is an opportunity for boys and girls to achieve their personal best in a hands-on learning environment which puts kids in the middle of the action and prepares them for the future. Scout Me In!
Local councils help chartered organizations effectively deliver the Scouting program and expand the use of the program to other community groups.
How Do We Keep Your Scout Safe?
The Boy Scouts of America, the Golden Spread Council, and the entire Executive Board, Staff, and Volunteers consider Youth Protection as the most important component of the Scouting Program. We make every effort to keep our Scouts safe using the tools below. We hope to take a moment to educate yourself on Youth Protection Training.
- Require all adult leaders to complete Youth Protection Training at registration
- All training is done online with exams
- All adults receive mandatory updated Youth Protection Training every two years
- The training syllabus is developed by certified professionals located at the National Office and experts in child protection across the country
- We require two-deep leadership at all times (No one-on-one private contact with a child)